Mocha Angel Cake with Chai-Spiced Cream
1 1/4 cups egg whites (8 to 10 large)
3/4 cup sifted cake flour or sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp instant espresso coffee powder
1 1/4 tsps cream of tartar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 recipe Chai-Spiced Cream (below)
1. In a very large bowl, let egg whites stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, sift flour, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and espresso powder together three times; set aside.
2. Adjust oven rack to lowest position. Preheat oven to 350. Add cream of tartar and vanilla to egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Add granulated sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
3. Sift one-fourth of flour mixture oven beaten egg whites. Fold in gently. Repeat with remaining flour mixture by thirds. Spoon into ungreased 10-inch tube pan. using a table knife, gently cut through batter to remove large air pockets.
4. Bake on lowest rack 30 to 35 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake in pan; let stand until completely cool. Loosen cake from pan, remove cake.
5. Spoon Chai-Spiced Cream in mounds around the top of the cake. If desired, top with chocolate-covered coffee beans. Chai-Spiced Cream
Place half of an 8-ounce container frozen light whipped dessert topping, thawed, in a medium bowl. Add 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, dash ground cloves, dash ground nutmeg, dash ground black pepper, and dash ground ginger. Fold gently to combine. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Nutrition per serving:
1 gram total fat
0 mg cholesterol
43 mg sodium
26 grams carbohydrate
0 grams fiber
4 grams protein