1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp finely shredded lemon peel
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup fat-free milk
2 tbsps vegetable oil spread
1 recipe Raspberry-Lemonade Sauce (below)
1. Allow eggs to stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease a 9x9x2-inch baking pan. Line pan with waxed paper. grease and flour waxed paper; set pan aside. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and lemon peel; set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, beat eggs with an electric mixer on high speed 4 minutes or until thick. Gradually add sugar, beating on medium speed 4 to 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture; beat on low to medium speed until combined.
3. In a small saucepan, heat and stir milk and vegetable oil spread until spread melts; add to batter, beating until combined. Pour batter into pan.
4. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Invert cake onto wire rack lined with waxed paper; carefully peel off top waxed paper and cool completely.
5. Cut cake into 12 pieces. Split each cake piece in half horizontally. Place cake piece bottoms on individual plates. Spoon half of the Raspberry-Lemonade Sauce over cake bottoms. Top with cake piece tops. Spoon remaining sauce onto shortcakes. If desired garnish with small lemon wedges.
Raspberry Lemonade Sauce
Place 3 cups fresh or frozen raspberries in a medium bowl. (Thaw frozen raspberries, if using; do not drain.) Mash berries. In a small saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sugar. 3/4 cup cornstarch, and 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel. Add mashed raspberries. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Cool about 10 minutes. Stir in 4 cups fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) raspberries. Makes about 3 and 1/2 cups.
Nutrition per serving:
3 grams total fat
35 mg cholesterol
49 mg sodium
35 grams carbohydrate
5 grams fiber
3 grams protein
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Share your favorite healthy recipe!.Type 2 Diabetes: Your Healthy Living Guide: Tips, Techniques, and Practical Advice for Living Well with Diabetes